Thinking Out of the Product #20
Thoughts on Product Management (ADPList Product Week edition #2)
Key Learnings from ADPList Product Week 2022
How Product Managers Cross-Function with Other Teams?
1. Getting the information flowing between teams is critical
2. Keep in mind the context: PM tends to have a greater breadth of information, whereas the other cross-functional teams have more domain knowledge/depth
3. Empathise and understand the needs of other stakeholders (What works best for you, how can I function well/collaborate with you?)
4. How to manage priority with other stakeholders
“The culture at Intuit is all about understanding the customer’s problems”
Intuit’s Design for Delight framework(http://www.intuitlabs.com/design-for-delight) — running experiments to test assumptions and validate knowledge of design thinking principles
5. Bring the context to everyone in the meeting -> why is this meeting important for this particular product/project (high-level context: why are we meeting)
6. It’s also important to “disagree and commit” -> it is better to go ahead with conflicting insights than push with your ideas.
7. Suitability of product roadmaps depending on the maturity of the team — figure out who your core audience is (who is affected by a particular decision that should be involved) and who your secondary audience is (who should just be informed).
8. Understanding each other’s work preferences is important to collaboration -> important for maintaining good team dynamics